YouTube has temporarily demonetized¬†James Charles'¬†account, Insider reports. The news comes after more than 15 men and boys came forward with sexual misconduct allegations against the makeup guru. Since starting his channel, he has amassed more than 25.5 million subscribers.
It all started when a 16-year-old TikTok user came forward accusing the vlogger of sending him nude photos. The minor also claimed James pressured him into engaging in explicit conversations. Charles responded with a Twitter statement. ‚ÄúThe accusation that I have groomed this person is completely false‚Äù and ‚ÄúI would never knowingly engage with anyone underage.‚Äù¬†
Insider¬†reports the accuser sent them screenshots of conversations with age visible on his profile. Several other underage TikTok users have also come forward with similar allegations.
On April 1, Charles¬†admitted to sending sexually explicit messages¬†to two underage boys. The 21-year-old claims he believed them to be 18. "These conversations should‚Äôve never happened, point blank period," Charles said in an uploaded video to his channel. ‚ÄúThere is no excuse for it.‚Äù
Consequently, a YouTube spokesperson confirmed to PEOPLE that the channel was removed from the YouTube Partner Program and enacted its¬†creator responsibility policy. According to the guidelines, "If we see that a creator's on- and/or off-platform behavior harms our users, community, employees or ecosystem, we may take action to protect the community."
Last week, Morphe released a statement with news that they would be amicably cutting ties with the beauty influencer. Last March, YouTube revealed James Charles won't be returning to the show Instant Influencer. Charles originally helped host and create the series.
In a statement later released on¬†Twitter, Charles acknowledged additional reports. ‚ÄúMany other people have come forward with a series of misleading stories and false allegations,‚Äù he said. ‚ÄúMy legal team has begun taking action against those that have spread misinformation and/or created completely fake stories, as this has gone too far.‚Äù
This is not Charles's first time dealing with drama. In 2019, he faced allegations of betrayal¬†from a former mentor. As a result, his YouTube following took a hit. But his follower count on the platform has nearly doubled since,¬†according to¬†The New York Times.
‚ÄúI am continuing to take time away to learn, grow, and listen,‚Äù Charles wrote on Twitter. ‚ÄúAnd look forward to coming back one day in the future a better version of myself.‚Äù